Saturday 11 May 2013

Shakespeare in the media

I'm sitting here, what exactly is meant by 'Shakespeare in the media'? I spent about 10 minutes researching this topic, and I've spent 15 minutes procrastinating. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to talk about Shakespeare in the media then, back when he lived, or Shakespeare in the media now, so I'm going to try and talk about Shakespeare in the media now.

Movies, raps (tune in, I have a hilarious one), short films, reenacted plays, podcasts, blogs... Those are a few ways that Shakespeare and his plays are being represented today.
There are movies being made that are Shakespeare adapted, such as:

  • Coriolanus (2011)
  • Much Ado About Nothing (1993)
  • The Tempest (2010)
Raps:
Usually, I die of embarrassment on someone else's behalf (the person embarrassing themself) so, I wouldn't say DIED for this rap, I would say.. um.. forced myself to watch till the end, not because it wasn't good, in fact it was really well done, I just wanted to pause it, because I feel like if I stopped it, I would've saved them from the embarrassment they put themselves in. I don't know if that makes sense. Hopefully some of you must know what I'm talking about.
But I think they've done a really good job as a school project, so here is a rap done by students summarizing Macbeth.



As for BLOGSSS, isn't this a perfect example? And all the other people in my class who are spending their Fridays and Saturdays writing a blog about Shakespeare?

These are a few examples of how Shakespeare is used in the media today. Using these methods, I think students all around the world, and even (maybe) adults wanting to learn about Shakespeare find it more appealing. I think relating Shakespeare's genius yet BORING work with modern trends makes it more relatable and fun. (and sometimes embarrassing)

5 comments:

  1. Joeelleee! I loved this blog post, and it wasn't boring at all. You've communicated your opinion very well. Good Job! And you've started to include your opinion more so this is making your blogs A LOT better(: Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA! I can relate soooooo much! I like how it's short and concise. I literally cracked up and kept nodding my head for an hour straight when I read the part about being embarrassed on behalf of someone else. *High five* I feel you buddy, I feel you! To be completely honest, I feel like this is the best blog post you wrote, because it was short and fun to read. Also, it felt like a conversation, which is FANTABULOUS, and not something that someone would feel obligated to continue on reading, and that would defeat the entire purpose of a blog post.. Trust me..

    I
    N
    D
    E
    P
    E
    N
    D
    E
    N
    T

    *in case Miss. Billie stumbles upon this, it's an inside joke.. Hehe*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you not knowing what to write is what made it funny, and your sense of humour ofcccc
    why am i being so formal
    anyway, niceeeeeee buddy. I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOOL!
    This is so good. Short and fuunnnaaayyyyy...
    Keep up the good work hayaatiii xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how you used humor and how you used modern examples. I like the rap :)
    LOL it really does sum up Macbeth and Shakespeare :)
    I always enjoy reading your blog and always entertain me, keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete