Saturday 4 May 2013

Shakespeare's plays

Let me start by being honest. Shakespeare's plays are B.O.R.I.N.G. Don't get me wrong, they have good storylines... but the way they've been told, or written or whatever, it just bores me to tears. It makes me want to go to sleep. Okay, ending opinion.

There are a lot of well-known and famous Shakespeare plays, such as: Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth. Then, there are others like: Othello, King Lear, As You Like It and 31 others. However, very few people actually know the stories of the famous plays. To me, Hamlet could be a really boring story about a really small village. Romeo and Juliet, it's known as the best love story written - little do people know it results in death and stuff. I honestly STILL don't know what that play is exactly about, so excuse me if I'm wrong. As for Macbeth, I had NO idea what it was about until I watched an episode of The Simpsons about it. Actually, the only thing that episode taught me, was that it was actually bad luck to say the play's name out loud.
The Simpsons doing Macbeth

I'm not going to go ahead and name ALL the THIRTY-SEVEN plays Shakespeare wrote, and explain briefly what each one is about. So, I'm going to put some "famous" quotes of some of his plays.


  • My salad days, when I was green in judgement.
    Antony and Cleopatra
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    Twelfth Night
  • By that sin fell the angels.
    Henry VIII
Most, if not all of Shakespeare's plays have been turned into movies.
  • Hamlet
  • As You Like It
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream
  • Othello
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • Henry V
  • Richard III
  • King Lear
  • Macbeth *SHH*
  • Twelfth Night
  • Julius Caesar
  • The Merchant Of Venice
  • By the way guys, if you're still 
  • reading this list one by one,
  • I congratulate you, and thank you!
These movies can still be boring, but they make the plays a bit more... (I had a word, but I can't think of it right now, so I'll use another one)... interesting. These movies make the plays a bit more understandable, even if you still have no clue what they're saying, at least you can SEE what's happening, instead of reading the plays and assume someone is killing someone else.

References and Websites used:
You can watch The Simpsons' Macbeth episode online here.

5 comments:

  1. Short, concise and clear! CONGRATULATIONS JOELLE! YOU HAVE ENTERTAINED ME, and quiet honestly, I chuckled at the Simpsons part, because IT'S SO TRUE! AND I AM TYPING WITH ALL CAPS ON AMAL'S BEHALF. I agree with the last part, about knowing who's killing who and stuff. Very Enjoyable! :D Oh oh, and the dot point thing, nice move! xD Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Another great post! Addressing your own opinions is just how a blog should be!! I really enjoyed it, also the Simpsons part! :D Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you added your own opinion and I have to agree about the movies, they could be more interesting. But this blog was really interesting and I enjoyed reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi jojoooo, see I bothered and took the time to comment.
    This was your best post. Your posts are much more interesting to read when you incorporate your opinions onto them.... (philosophy ttttyyyym) ok no
    basicalllllyyyyy, this was funn-aaay. Marvellous (attempt)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great post! I loved that you added your opinions so that made it more enjoyable to read! And yes, the Simpsons part was a great example. All in all, an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete